Finals are over! It’s time to throw on the ugly sweaters and have a great time for the next few weeks. That’s right, it’s time for the holiday party.
I love holiday parties. Mostly, I love holiday party food. The problem is, this is what that holiday food usually looks like:
That looks sooooo good doesn’t it? Unfortunately, it’s easy to dig in to a little too much at one time when you’re having holiday fun. It’s certainly okay to relax and allow for a few extra calories here and there, but bingeing a little too hard (and often) during the holiday season might leave you in a slump before the season is over.
So what can you do if everything at the party looks good???
- Eat something filling beforehand. Have a meal packed with fiber, protein, healthy fat, and other good stuff to fill you up a little bit so you aren’t tempted to finish off the first platter you see. Even enjoying a glass or two of water beforehand can really help curb your appetite before the party.
- Eat mindfully. It’s very easy to unconsciously nibble on endless helpings while chatting it up with friends and family. If this is an issue for you, try putting the plate of food down while you talk, or bring the conversation out of the kitchen and out of sight of the food.
- Munch on the healthy choices. Gravitate toward the fresh fruit, vegetable platters
- Avoid the empty liquid calories. Sodas, juices, and other sugary drinks you often find at parties are full of calories that your mind may fail to register as calories, so they make it very easy to load up on empty calories. There are some yummy andfun holiday-themed ways around this though: my favorite is to offer and enjoy sparkling water with just a splash of cranberry juice (and served with cranberries and lime if you want to be fancy).
- Best of all: make delicious and healthy food to bring! Offer some yummy garlic marinated shrimp or prepare endives stuffed with goat cheese, strawberries, and walnuts.
- Bonus: Pine needle cookies? While maybe not entirely “health” related, this recipe is a super fun one I thought I should share with you guys. You can find it here. So try it out and make your holiday parties that much more interesting
Check out these other tips for having a healthy holiday while you’re at it.